The Getting It Right First Time (GIRFT) programme is establishing a new audit of patients with surgical site infections (SSIs), particularly examining their care peri- and post-operatively. This new initiative is supported by the Chief Medical Officer and Public Health England and medical directors of all NHS trusts have now been informed on this audit.
It has become clear from GIRFT data mining and trust reviews that in many cases Trusts and surgeons are not aware of their infection rates for their speciality. GIRFT is currently developing a new method of collecting information about surgical site infection (SSI) rates. We wish this to focus on some specific procedures within the 13 surgical specialties (including Vascular Surgery, led by Prof Horrocks) in GIRFT in which SSIs have been identified as having potentially debilitating consequences and the main aims would be to:
1. Identify the surgical site infection rates of specific procedures within key surgical specialties
2. Assess local practice in the prevention of surgical site infection for the specified procedures
A national retrospective and prospective data collection exercise is being held which is to be led by trainees. They will be supported locally by clinical and medical directors, all of whom have now been informed of this audit. It would be a great opportunity for trainees to be involved in a national audit, and to recognise their time and effort, participants will be
• Named as contributors in a national report.
• Named contributors and citable via PubMed (if more than 20 cases collected) in any resultant journal publications that may arise from the audit, with the remaining collaborators acknowledged for their contributions.
• Given a certificate of participation.
• Provided opportunities and supported in local and/or regional presentations.
• Invited to present at local GIRFT trust visits.
• Top contributors and participants will be invited to present or showcase their work at the annual NHS Improvement Operational Productivity Directorate national meeting.
Thos intrested should contact me at the below e-mail address.
Junie Wong MBChB MSc MRCP
National Medical Director’s Clinical Fellow
GIRFT SSI Audit Lead